Contents of this blog are personal, they do not reflect the views of the US government, or the Peace Corps.

Tuesday, October 18, 2016

One ending is another beginning July-October 2016



My feet are in about an inch of water. It rained hard last night, and no one has bailed the boat yet. It's raining again now. I have my umbrella up, but rain keeps dripping through a hole. The water makes a micro cascade down the umbrella's handle into my lap. The two women sitting in front of me have their umbrellas open too, dripping on my legs. The rain continues. My knees to my toes are wet too, but they'll dry when the sun comes out.
It's almost my last day in Wakapoa. Each time I do something, I feel an unbidden pang that it may be my last time. Getting in the school boat during a rain storm. Laughing with my friends. Picking up children and throwing them in the air.
These are things I might do in America, but never like this again. Wakapoa is special. It's confusing, and frustrating in some ways, but also stunningly beautiful, peaceful, and loving. People look out for each other here. Maybe it comes from a mutual understanding that things are rough, maybe not. I received priority treatment being the white volunteer. Who knows, I might marry someone's son and take them home with me, or might give them some nice american things. That's certainly a part of it. That's the part of my identity that was given the most attention. But, some of my Guyanese friends know me just as well as my american friends, and still accept, appreciate and care for me.
It's hard to say goodbye, knowing once I leave, I'll never have this again. That's a part of life. Things continue to carry on, and even if you go back to a physical place, things will have changed. But, this gives me an appreciation for all the time I've spent here, both good and bad. It has been the experience of a lifetime, and I'm going to focus on the positives. Though it breaks my heart to say goodbye, here's to the future, to making dreams come true.
Peace Corps was my dream for a very long time. And I guess this is what it feels like to have dreams come true. Proud, but also kind of confused, and drifting. Coming back from any adventure is hard. That's because essential traveling/Peace Corps skills aren't as helpful when living in first world America. No one is impressed with my ability to carry water long distances, or wash dishes by hand super fast. People look at me weird when I pop a blister with a knife, or gnaw on a chicken bone to get out the last bit of marrow. But, these are things I learned to do in my village. They helped me get by. But, I'm not living like I used to anymore.
Skills I needed to survive in Peace Corps are outdated. And the ones I used to have to survive in America faded. Such as driving a car without having anxiety, or being able to order something at a fast food restaurant where there are so many choices. Or even knowing what goes in a dishwasher. I do know how to make small talk for long periods of time with people who might or might not care about me, but I don't know how to find my ideal job, or where to park so I don't get a ticket. I didn't need those skills, but now I do.

It doesn't exactly surprise me that there's a high level of anxiety in America. Something that seems simple, like going to the doctor, is hard. Real hard. But its funny because water, electricity, and basic food is easy to find. But many intangibles are harder. Community doesn't exist everywhere. Being respected as a human, being understood doesn't seem as available now as it did for the past two years.  I'm blaming that on the exceptional people I was able to spend time with, and the culture here of dehumanizing people to make it easier to understand, to cope with. America is huge and thinking about the vast number of people, their hopes, their dreams, everything that makes them amazing, is frankly overwhelming. But, that's America. Overwhelming. Stunning. Do I dare say diverse? America is a bit of a mess, but it's where I'm from, and I'll always be proud of that.

 Change is inevitable, and it doesn't do any good to fight it. New dreams are on the horizon, begging to be chased. Maybe I'll succeed, and maybe I won't. But this is something I have learned from Peace Corps: the goal is what motivates you, but it's truly the journey which lets you grow. This is it. On to new dreams. Onto new journeys. My options feel limitless. It's terrifying, but ultimately empowering. The journey I left for 2 years ago has closed, and I know I'll always carry it with me. But, this journey all it's unseen curves and wildness, is just beginning.