Contents of this blog are personal, they do not reflect the views of the US government, or the Peace Corps.

Thursday, June 9, 2016

Remembering Wakapoa ---June 2016





Recently, I had a pretty average day.

I got up in the morning, made lunch, ate breakfast, and went to school. My friend's daughter went to school with me, since she couldn't go with her mom that day. She went into detail about wanting to buy two pieces of cake from the school fundraiser. One for me, one for her. However, considering the fundraiser didn't raise anything other than expectations, she bought me a lolipop instead.
When I got home, I visited a family to deliver a seed ring I'd carved for the mother. I also carried 5 lolipops to reward the kids for learning their sight words. I left with 4 lolipops. Only the eldest son, who I taught in school last year, knew most of the words. The family was sweet, as always, and unloaded all their curiosity about America. I'd forgotten about the phone I gave the family, until the father brought it out, proclaiming it was named "white girl" in my honor.  
At night, I went to my friend's house, saw her daughter again, and exercised. We've been exercising almost every night for about 3 months. At first my friend couldn't really do any squats or pushups or even plank, but that night she did 100 pushups.
When I went home, there were already some little boys at my house, watching an action movie on my computer. I'd given the three brothers permission to use it at night time, and after a couple tutorials, they quickly learned how to navigate to the movies they wanted.
When I finally crawled under my mosquito net that night, I was exhausted. I collapsed into the thin foam mattress, smiling.

Two years ago, when my friend and I first moved into site, we had a discussion I'll never forget. She said she just wanted to not feel uncomfortable 100% of the time. Even being comfortable like 1% of the time would be great, I'd agreed.

Back then, I couldn't imagine what an average day in my village would look like. I only knew the constant uncomfortableness of being in a place I didn't belong in, and trying to make myself at home. I'm so glad I got to stay. When most people think about successfully completing Peace Corps, there are a lot of things they don't really consider. Yes, some of it does have to do with determination and adaptability and all that. But, some of it is just luck. I'm really lucky to live in the village I do. To have the friends I do.
The other night, one of my Wakapoa BFFs and I were talking. We said we didn't know what we're going to do without each other. We've been so lucky to meet and grow close, but our homes will always be an ocean apart. I am a part of Wakapoa for now, and Wakapoa will always be a part of me. And as much as I love it, I want to gaze on the Rockies, hear the robins singing, and memorize the smiles on my parents faces. I love Wakapoa, but my roots are far from here, and I must return to them.

The question I hear daily has been: will you come back? The voices are hopeful when they ask, but their eyes look like they know better. I hope I will. I want it fiercely but I won't know until I do it. We were warned, early on, that the beginning and the ending of service would be the hardest. At the beginning, I was uncertain if I would complete my two years. Now, there's no doubt about me leaving and pursuing new goals. But I have no idea what they'll be. However, the certainty of the farewell does not make it any easier to say goodbye.

But, I'm incredibly lucky. Ten years ago, I never dreamed I'd be able to say I have loved and been loved by an amazing community, tucked on a winding creek in South America.

When people ask me if I'll remember Wakapoa, I only laugh. It's my home away from home. Its where I learned to cook roti, and ate many wild animals. It's where I played a lot of football, and broke a couple toes, totally unrelated. It's where I  learned to bruck it down and one drop. Its where I learned I am NOT faster than your average child.  It's where I taught everything from the ABCs to how to do a pushup. It's where I learned lessons I'm still unfolding. Wakapoa is where I grew into a better version of myself.


Looking back over the past two years, I remember the ups and downs, when I laughed, and when I cried. But, mostly, I remember how it felt to belong to a community. Connection is a basic human need, which can so often become downplayed in this modern age. But, belonging to something, and feeling that sense of community, of compassion, that is something I wouldn't trade for the world. And, even though I'm leaving Wakapoa soon, it will always be in my heart. Of this I am sure.