Contents of this blog are personal, they do not reflect the views of the US government, or the Peace Corps.

Sunday, August 9, 2015

On and On (June, July, August 2015)

It started with a sleepy morning. Like most of my Guyanese days do. However, unlike most days, this was the beginning, and the end, of something amazing. My grade 6 class(whom I adopted halfway through the term) was finally graduating. Transitioning from blue to green uniforms. Inching closer to adulthood. Leaving primary for secondary. Leaving one class to the next. Many of my students are going to the secondary school in the nearest city, Charity. It will be the first time for them to live away from their families. Kind of a big deal. Just like them. They don't exactly understand the meaning of well behaved. Or maybe we like laughing a little too much. They're my class. Watching them seated on the stage, some looking inspirationally forward, some laughing and whispering, I was overcome with joy. Suddenly all the days worrying, the nights stressing, the headdesk frustration moments; they were all worth it. To see my class graduate primary school. To see them grow into who they are now. Two of them went from not being able to read 3 words in a row, to reading small books independently. One of them is developing into a beautiful leader. One of them is going to be a professional bandit. All 16 are brilliant, wonderful people. I'm so glad I got to teach them this term. I didn't know if I would make it through this term, but, here we are. I've become a whole lot better at making things up on the fly, extremely proficient at sweating through the afternoon, and much more able to connect with my Guyanese students. It has been a struggle from the beginning to the end, but, thankfully, it has been worth it.
(Pictures to come, my computer screen broke and they're all on there :C)

A day after the graduation ceremony, I reached my one year anniversary in Wakapoa. When I arrived on that rainy day last July, seeing two years in Guyana seemed about as likely as pigs flying. As it turns out, a year can speed by when you find an unexpected home. Not unexpected in the basics of a place to lay your head, and a place to eat your meals, more unexpected in the connections here. I know people in Guyana are friendly. Believe me, I know. But I never expected to really become a part of so many families. I have about 12 aunts, and at least 5 mothers and countless brothers and sisters. They look out for me in so many ways. I could never have imagined this that July day when I arrived, head full of hope and heart full of dreams. I really do think the first year is the hardest, and the second year is a bit more of a reward. And it feels that way now, during this summer term. I have time to go and gaff and lime with the people who have become my family. It continues to surprise me how much they can open their hearts to people they know will only be here for two years. Just as it astonishes me that I have friends I rarely see, yet couldn't be closer to. I suppose I'm often underestimating the human capacity for love, and am pleasantly surprised when it is overwhelming.

And it often is. Overwhelming. To me, love is captured in those moments when my heart is so full of joy it might burst. I'm always worried it really will explode one of these days. Especially when pummeled with such kindness. For a week straight a child from school, not even in my class, brought me bags of mangoes, more than anyone could eat. Then a pineapple. Then more mangoes. This was after I visited his house one day that week, for a couple minutes. Does this deserve mangoes on mangoes on mangoes? I don't know if it does. If receiving bags of delicious fruit isn't what love feels like, I don't know what is.
Maybe it's being surrounded by friends, family, really, and being supported by them through thick and thin. It's rare that I see most of our Peace Corps family. Most of GUY 26 gathered together in July for the GUY 27 swearing in ceremony. It was great to see their faces, hear their laughter and feel like a piece of something bigger than myself.

It was also a reminder that good things must always end. We said goodbye to our response volunteer Rachel Rose. She was something else. Everyone she met was captivated by what she brought to everything around her, by her charisma. I met her only a couple months ago, but it felt longer. Supply and Demand forever. She's a good friend, and a great volunteer. I have no doubt she's going to kill it in Boston. All the best, Rachel. Don’t let anything bring you down, you really are incredible. Love you.

Shortly after cheering on the GUY 27 volunteers, I went for a jaunt to Barbados with my buddies Brittany and Chris. Brittany and I met 4 years ago during a volunteer project in Australia. We didn't hate each other, and here we are, post Barbados buddies. It’s funny, we met on a foreign continent, saw each other twice in America, then this last time in the sweet Caribbean flow of Barbados. Barbados was about as awesome as you'd imagine. We stayed in the Hilton. My bed bounced so much when I jumped on it. Which I did. A lot. I also reveled in the hot showers. Do not ever take those for granted, I beg you. Hot showers and cheese are my kryptonite. And Doritos and short shorts. I forgot how much I loved them. No regrets.

Speaking of no regrets, guess what I did in Barbados. Something awesome. And underwater. Have you guessed yet? Its something I should maybe feel bad about but don't. And, no, its not peeing in the ocean. I high fived a turtle! You're not really supposed to touch them, but he was right there, fin out and everything. He was like “whoa” and I was like “whoa” and then he was like “whooooa.”  Barbados was exactly what I needed. It was an excuse to treat myself and have a shameless good time. It was quite incredible. Can’t wait to see where the Brittany, Beth and Chris train lands next.

After returning from Barbados, I went back to Wakapoa, did some laundry, pet my kitten, and went straight back out. We hired a private boat and it took 4 hours. FOUR. Y’all know I’m not a patient person, but four hours is a long time to be sitting in one place doing anything. This time, to a magnificent camp by the name of Camp GLOW(Girls Leading Our World). This camp is built on the foundation of women empowerment and making girls into strong, confident leaders in their communities. It focuses on developing confidence, life skills, decision-making skills, promotion of goal setting and career planning and living healthy lifestyles. That’s the official definition they give of camp. What it really is is an amazing opportunity for many girls to see the world outside of their community for the first time and meet amazing role models and friends. The girls in my community had the most amazing time. They made some fantastic goals and have a lot of ideas for their futures which I could not be happier about. It’s been phenomenal.


After Camp GLOW I chaperoned the girls back to Wakapoa, washed my kitten, washed my clothes and then left sweet Wakapoa AGAIN, this time for the Mid Service Training event. We have made it to the halfway mark, therefore we need to have a training helping us determine how we’re going to make the most of our last year. 27 of us are left and I loved seeing everyone all together again. It continues to surprise me how much I legitimately love everyone in our group. Sometimes having everyone together is a lot for me to handle, but I still love it. Happy happy birthday Holleigh! You’re the most fabulous rainbow dash I’ve ever known. <3


#shoutouts


Brittany. Brittany. Brittany. Words. Yeah. You know. Seriously, though. I owe you. Big time. Barbados. Treats for days. Books for years. I'm so glad I know you. Also, I can't believe we didn't eat any pears. What story is this?


GAD, resource volunteers, and everyone who helped out with Camp GLOW. Y'all are the best. It was incredible and I want to thank all of you for everything you did to make it successful. Especially things you really didn't want to do, but did anyway without complaining. You're rock stars.

Mom, Dad, Kat: you guys are immensely supportive to me all of the times. I don't think you realize how helpful it is for me to have you around when I don't know what I'm doing and am about to freak out.

GUY 26: we made it this far! Wow. We're kind of the best. I love all of you, and am really glad we have this support network. Y'all are my family and I think that's pretty great. Sending love to all of you here in country and those back in America.