Contents of this blog are personal, they do not reflect the views of the US government, or the Peace Corps.

Sunday, August 9, 2015

A Little From A White, Privileged, American On Race

Disclaimer: this is my personal opinion; you have every right to disagree with it, but I will ask you to respect it. To reiterate: what you read here is my personal opinion and does not reflect views of my host country, Guyana, Peace Corps Guyana, the U.S. Government, or my host community Wakapoa.

Before I get into this whole shebang I’d like to give a shout out to the book which really started me thinking about race issues, and my personal perspective on race. Americanah by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie. If you are looking for a new book, please consider this one.

It's funny, white privilege. Those who have it, don't realize it, and those who don't, do. It's a fair guess that I've been living most of my life from the comfort of white privilege. It's only been in the last few months that I've become aware of it. There are times when my skin color affects how I am treated. Other factors may be at play. Gender. Being a volunteer. Appearance. Finances. However, I think race plays a role in more places than I realized. Living as I do, as a Peace Corps Volunteer in Guyana, I’ve become aware of being the only white person around. Being the minority. And I’ve been treated differently than the people around me. However, the million dollar questions is: would I receive the same treatment if I weren't white? If I weren't a girl? Maybe I am underestimating the people here and it truly would be the same. Although, maybe not.
Before I came to Peace Corps I had never been the ethnic minority. There were people of other races than my own in my hometown, in my high school, and in my college. They were there, yes, but they were the minority, at least in my circles. Growing up with my family, we talked about race, and racism; it was in the world around us and my sister and I were curious. But in those dinner table conversations, I came to learn that judging someone based on something like the color of their skin is absurd. Are they still human? Great. They don’t deserve to be judged.
I had seen the news, heard of people who were racist, bigoted, convinced they were right. But, I guess I had never really met them, or got into deep conversations with them about their beliefs.
That has changed in my time in Guyana. I’ve met people who are blatantly racist, and don’t seem to think anything is wrong with that. I’m accustomed to the American reaction where people throw up their hands and start yelling a lot when the themes of “race” and “racism” are brought into conversations. Here, there is no hand throwing, and sometimes there’s yelling, but most of the time it’s part of a normal conversation.
Race is a considerable factor in Guyana. You see a few varieties of Guyanese: Indo, Afro, Amerindian, Chinese, Portuguese, Mixed and Caucasian. They know this better than anyone else. Typically, if you ask a Guyanese person about their nationality they will tell you “I’m Afro Guyanese,” “I’m Indo Guyanese,” or “I’m Amerindian Guyanese.” When you walk around in America, what do they say? “I’m an American.” Yes, there are many beautiful shapes and colors of being American, but in the culture as I have seen it, people recognize themselves as Americans first. It saddens me to see a culture of people who have grown up being told their race is a limitation, something to be ashamed of.
I mentioned Camp GLOW which I attended recently. During a session, a brave woman shared how their race has affected her negatively. She was told she was ugly, weak, in some way wrong due to her race. I was blown away. I cannot imagine the pain that such abuse has on a person’s identity.
I’ve heard a lot about race in the news lately. How many people have been killed by a police officer who wouldn’t have been killed if they were another race? I can’t keep track. I’m not here to debate who was right, that is not my concern. My concern is how many people are dead, who didn’t need to die. My concern is how many families will never be the same because their image of love, their brother, sister, child, wife, or husband was taken away for something as surface level as skin color. My concern is how many Americans begin waving their confederate flags, or saying race related violence does not happen. It is not a matter of opinion. It happens. People are killed who would not be killed if they were a different race. By definition, that is what race related killings are.
I have seen the tag #blacklivesmatter floating around the internet of late, too. My initial reaction was: do we need to have this hashtag? Doesn’t everyone know black lives matter? The unfortunate answer seems to be that we, as a society, as a world, need reminding that all lives matter. Regardless of color. I know some people who would say that #blacklivesmatter is reverse racism. But is it? The term reverse racism means a majority race has endured discrimination which is has not previously experienced. Is this happening when people post about black deaths?  Are white people being discriminated against when people are raising awareness of the high rate of black deaths? To me, I don’t think so. But, everyone is permitted their own opinion when it comes to what discrimination looks like. However, I think awareness does need to be raised. There have been notably higher numbers of black assault deaths than assault deaths in other races.

If you don’t believe me, look it up. Please. Do the research and see for yourself. Unfortunately this picture only gives data up to 2010, so it is very outdated. But I think it still rings true. One of these things is not like the others.
I was talking with one of my fellow PCVs the other day. She’s an American Black. She was helping me redo my cornrows for GUY 27s swearing in ceremony and the conversation of race came up. She asked me if I was proud of my race. Proud to be white? Proud to be part of the race responsible for historically repressing people? No, I can’t really say I am proud of that. I am proud of my family, of my history, of my heritage. But my race? To be associated with the whole of white people in the world? How many stories of repression begin with “The white people did this”? I do not really want to be associated with a group of people who treat other people as less than human. My race is a part of me, and I know this, however I would rather people judge me based on the quality of my actions than the color of my skin.
I am white. Heterosexual. A woman. I have never had someone tell me I am ugly because I’m white. Disgusting because of my sexual orientation. Can’t get this job because there was someone “more qualified”. I have never had this happen. But I know people who have. People who fall somewhere else on the LGBTQ spectrum. People who aren’t dayglow white. People who go through their lives, trying to find the love they know they should have for themselves, the love other people are constantly crushing with their vile comments. I can’t say I understand the struggle because it is not mine. But that does not mean I sit on the sidelines. I have a voice to be heard. As do each of you. It begins with you. Your friends. Your family. This is where racism can change. We are the change.
In Peace Corps we talk a lot about change, how to improve things. That’s kind of the point of Peace Corps. They throw around the word “grassroots” a lot. Grassroots organizations. Grassroots development. What does this mean? This means it is something which works from the bottom up. Starts with the “average Joe” and works its way to the higher ups. I think the solution to racism lies in the grassroots. In people developing friends of other races and realizing they are more similar than different. In people having conversations in which they realize the racial burdens they are carrying. In people facing their racial prejudices and working to eliminate them. In people realizing that we are all human. Human is human is human. And all humans need love. So, please, consider this. Be the change. Look in yourself. You don’t need to tell anyone what you find. But, please, the next time you hear someone say someone is less of a human based on the color of their skin. Tell them it’s not true. And, more importantly, show love, compassion to all of your fellow human beings. Even the ones you disagree with. Even the ones who are different from you. Especially those.