Contents of this blog are personal, they do not reflect the views of the US government, or the Peace Corps.

Thursday, January 28, 2016

There and Back Again (October 2015)

Not quite a hobbits tale, but a tale of two homes. My time in America was brief, but well spent. From the moment I stepped off the plane, I slipped back into my old life like I'd never left. But I had. A piece of me had been changed. Suddenly things I used to enjoy, possessions I'd cherished, were no longer essential. My perspective had been altered. When Mel and I went into a Walmart to do some pre-wedding shopping, I remarked that it was bigger than Charity, the closest town to my village. The abundance,  the sheer volume of things--- I was in awe. When biking around the neighboring city, I saw houses that looked like mansions. And, I stared. I couldn't wrap my head around someone living in something like that, to someone living in the houses in Wakapoa, to everything in between.
I visited a friend of mine while I was there. He commented on the discrepancy between having basic needs met, and being happy. Gesturing around his apartment, which would have seemed like heaven to most people in my village, he remarked how he had electricity, and running water. Everything you would need. But, he lived by himself, worked all the time to try to get out of student debt, and barely had time to see friends. Compare that, to the social, if struggling, lives led in Wakapoa. Can it really be said who is happier? I don't know.

But, I do know, I am incredibly grateful for the life I have. The love, and appreciation I received on this trip is but one part of that. Home is home, no matter how far I may stray from it. That week and a half was heavenly. I ate everything I'd missed, drank up the sight of the mountains, and my friends, and my family.

The reason I came home was to attend my friend's wedding. Initially, I had plans to attend two weddings, a week apart. As the time drew nearer and the save the dates reached me in Wakapoa, I realized they were on the same day, and I'd agreed to be the maid of honor at both. Yikes. I had to make a decision. Much as I had wanted to split myself and be in both places at the same time, I couldn't. I elected to go to  the Colorado wedding, but I still wish I could have made it to both.
 Weddings are, and have always been, brilliant celebrations. Celebrations of life, of love, of everything in between. I celebrated the union between two excellent people, Mel and Noah, and the joy of being home with my family. I even persuaded my dad to dance Ed Sheeran's "Thinking Out Loud" with me. Though I continue to lack rhythm, we laughed our way through. My heart was a cup overflowing as Mel walked down the aisle, with my parents in the crowd, and the Rocky Mountains overseeing it all.   

Leaving that behind was hard. But, as Joni Mitchell put it: "Something's lost, and something's gained  in living every day." Somewhere between the losing and the gaining, I've found the balance there and back again.