Contents of this blog are personal, they do not reflect the views of the US government, or the Peace Corps.

Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Week 6: June 2 - 8



The waiting game-
I've heard patience praised as a virtue. The same has been whispered of curiosity. I'm of the mind that curiosity is the finer of the two, but I may be a bit biased on that. I've had a great opportunity to exercise both toward my site placement as it draws nearer. It is so close I can almost picture myself arriving, bag in one hand, aspirations in the other. I'll find out on June 13th, but, even though my rational mind knows it's not too far away, I still desperately want to know.(this is somewhat ironic since I'm posting this after I found out, but I wrote it when I didn't know.) Everything about my experience is riding on this, so I'd rather the process take all the time it needs to rather than being rushed. However, the waiting game is getting old. I know there are a ton of components which go into selection like what my trainers have observed and what the needs of the community are.  I'm struggling with training because I love my training site and wish I could do more with them, but I know I'm not going to be there long enough to start some of the changes I'd like to make, which makes things challenging.
It will be really hard to leave Laluni, I love my family and all the community members I've met so far. I couldn't ask for a better way to learn about Guyana.

The downward slope-
Peace Corps has been very clear in stating that we will struggle, that there are going to be days when we question why we're here, when we don't know what we can possibly accomplish. There are also going to be days when I'm on top of the world, inspired and doing everything I hope to do. It's not that I expected it to be easy. I was quite surprised by how easily I adjusted to a whole new group of people , to a whole new lifestyle. I had been sad to think about everyone and everything I'd left behind, but I was so busy being elated about really being here in Guyana, I didn't have time to be sad. It took a long time for that initial excitement to wear down, for this to become normal. There are still things which refresh my enthusiasm and elation. But, it wore down a recently.
This week has been challenge mode. I've been having a tough time adjusting. I think the culture shock is finally here. But, it's not so much of a shock as a subtle recognition that things are not the same here as they are at home. And I miss home. I miss everyone there. Don't think for a moment that my fellow volunteers, family, and community don't support me. They absolutely do. I'm so lucky I have their support, because it made the hard times I was going through easier. But, even with all the support in the world, I still miss my family and friends, and I'm worried about how much I'll be able to contact them. I'm ready to serve anywhere, under any conditions, but that doesn't mean I want to go for 2 years without hearing from my loved ones. If I am not able to call or text I will be sure to post an updated address for my actual site, rather than the address for the Peace Corps office which you have now, so you can write to me. I will also continue to write my blog and keep you updated about when to expect posts(monthly, yearly, etc.) Not that I'm terribly descriptive about when to expect my blog as it is, but there's always room to grow.

I started struggling on Monday when I had one of my interviews with the program manager. I didn't think I would be upset, but we started talking about if my family could come visit in October and I started to cry when she said I'd probably have to wait until a school break because I will have to get it approved by my counterpart, supervisor, her, and possibly another higher up with Peace Corps. It surprised me how upset I was about it. I had been feeling upset the past couple days, missing everyone and the comforts I had, but I thought I had it under control. Turns out I was actually really sad and was trying to keep myself from being sad. I think it helped to recognize that I was sad, to give myself permission to be sad about it.
When I got home I told my host family about it because they asked how I was and it actually made me feel a whole lot better. It's nice to share struggles with other people, to understand that everyone goes through their own unique set of troubles, and though they may handle it differently, everyone does go through it. It makes me feel a lot better to know I'm not alone in this. That I'm definitely not the first, or the last person, to feel doubtful and scared.
On Tuesday I was still having a rough go mostly because we tried to start working on our World Map project but it was hard to get everyone on the same page so we did a lot of sitting around and talking about it. It was a bummer. But, I did get to be in the school for part of the day and that was really nice. Priya, my teacher, had to go do stuff for the Head Master(principle) so Kelly and I took over the class for her and we got to take the kids outside to sing camp songs and such. It was a blast. I sang the Tarzan song and tried to make all the children be bananas which was hilarious and a good time.
Wednesday the other education volunteers from the coast got to come out into Laluni for trainee directed sessions(also known as us teaching each other). It began wonderfully with us singing a song written by Eben which went like this:
"Welcome to Laluni
You want to leave so soony
So sing this little tuney
You'll love it in Laluni"
It was quite fantastic. There were some other lyrics which I do not remember but they mentioned the differences between hinty and coastal. It was really fun to have the other trainees out in Laluni so they could see what the site we've been working at.
My lesson was not as wonderful as I was hoping it would be, but it's over now and I think I learned a lot from it, so I'll definitely do better next time.
Although, when I got home, my host siblings were home and it was time for me to cook dinner for them because my mom and dad were at a funeral. I was super nervous about making dinner and trying to take care of the children/get them to shower. Turns out they are a bunch of wonderful children and did a really good job getting clean when I asked them to.  I ended up doing a great job making the dinner, but I should have made the roti first but it all still worked out. They got home when I was still making pumpkin, but they said it was good. However, I did learn that it is super exhausting to get home when tired and then cook for two hours. Let me tell you. It was great, but I was pretty much done.
On Thursday we got to work on the World Map project which was really rewarding. It felt good to work for a while and get some solid work done.
Friday was Lauren's birthday and we got to eat a ton of candy and cake all day at Red Grounds. It was fantastic. I enjoyed singing happy birthday to her more than is necessary.
Saturday was super duper fun. We had a surprise birthday party for Lauren at her host family's house. We all managed to get to her house without her knowing and we threw confetti at her when she came in. She legit screamed in surprise and joy. It was splendid. Her host family made a whole ton of food for us which was absolutely wonderful and the cake was so neato. I was quite impressed by how loving and sweet they were to Lauren. It was the best. We had a little dance party at her house and her family laughed so hard at how much we cannot dance like Guyanese. Walking back from her party I saw a sweet ruined building with a plants growing around it which was ridiculously gorgeous. As we were walking home I also saw a tiny snake on the ground. I wasn't sure if it was alive, so Rob decided to touch it. It was hilarious.
On Sunday we all got to come together for the health fair in the center of Laluni. The heath people had set up a station to check their blood pressure and blood sugar. Coastal health volunteers came out to support the fair as well. I started outside, playing tag with the children of the community and then came inside to hear brief lectures from Lauren and Andrew. Then the community all got to eat some delightful healthy meals and hang out playing games and such. A lot of people came and participated so I'd say it was a pretty successful event. 
After the event Norwell, our language and cultural facilitator, came over to my house for a group discussion with my whole family about how it was having me at their house and how the experience went for them. It was great to hear all the comments from everyone about how much they liked having me at their house and how well they thought I would do in Guyana. Norwell asked my host dad to summarize me in a word and he said excellent. So that was really great. And my little brother Shivo told me that he loved me and loved having me around so much. Sachen, my other younger brother who is also known as the bread man due to his substantial love of bread, elected to smile charmingly at Norwell and I while not saying anything. Serenia said she liked playing with me, which I think was her way of saying she just liked having me around. It was lovely.