Contents of this blog are personal, they do not reflect the views of the US government, or the Peace Corps.

Monday, June 16, 2014

Week 5: May 26- June 1

Unanswered Questions


What is Guyana 26?
Why are you leaving for two years?
Why are you going to Guyana?
Are you going to build houses?
What are you trying to accomplish?
What's Peace Corps all about?
What will you do?
These are questions I got a whole lot of before I left. I asked myself a couple of those questions before I left too, and some of them I still can't totally answer yet, but I can tell you a whole lot more about what the goal of me being here is.
For me personally, I joined the Peace Corps because I want to help people all over the world love reading. I believe literacy is an impressive source of empowerment. When you can read you can communicate and you can understand the world around you in a new way. I am inspired to share my passion for literacy with others, and hopefully have them become so passionate they will continue to help spread literacy after I have gone. An important component of Peace Corps to me is that I will only be in a community for two years, but I want to have an impact which I won't even be able to predict.
 Another component of my desire to join was to get to know other cultures and show them what I'm all about. I want to explore a new corner of the world and become a part of that community, not just an observer. As I become integrated into my community my goal is to help accomplish Peace Corps goal of developing the community by building the capacity of different skills needed within communities. Part of what I will do as a volunteer is see and hear what communities need and do my best to help them accomplish their goals. The development I'm trying to accomplish should be: sustainable(can last after we've come and gone), grassroots(done with the people, not for the people), and people to people(focused on relationships built between people).
There are also goals I'm trying to accomplish as an education volunteer. I'm working with a set of guidelines called GLIFE which stands for Guyana Literacy Improvement For Everyone. The main goal of GLIFE is to eliminate illiteracy in Guyana; quite a task. There are a lot of different ways I can choose to help improve literacy in my community. I can teach with a teacher in a school, pull small literacy groups out to work with them, teach the teachers through in-services, set up after school reading programs and other such opportunities.  In general, if it has to do with literacy, I can consider it part of my project. I will find out more about what I will end up doing specifically after I find out what my site is on June 13th. I'll also get to explore what secondary projects my community might be interested in like camps or clubs focused on developing other skills. Again, I'll get to find out more of that when I get to my future site.

On Monday we all went on the extra bumpy ride to Red Grounds to do a lot of tech training sessions. The trainers let us have about an hour to use the tools they brought in and develop learning tools we think we'll be able to use in the classroom. This was wonderful and challenging at the same time since we don't know what schools we'll go to or what grade levels we will be working with yet. Such is life though, always trying to prepare for the unpreparable. I was able to make a set of lovely alphabet cards, and laminate them with tape, which I feel I will be able to use with different skill levels depending on what students I will be teaching.
The rain here is not a subtle sunset, it is a radiant flame, easily fierce one moment and sedated the next. The rain here does no mess around. It comes violently, pounding it's giant fists on the house, then sweeps away before you even realize it is gone. Sometimes it sticks around for longer, making everything seem harder when there is a curtain of rain between you and anything productive. It is coming on  the rainy season here, I'm still waiting for it to really pound down on us.
Tuesday was filled with a number of glorious things.
When we took the minibus home today we stopped to let Matt, Kathrina and Eben out at the junction. Their family was taking a while to give them a ride, so everyone came out and our language and culture trainer, Norwell, gave us an impromptu dance lesson. He was trying to teach us to roll our hips without moving our torsos. it is just about as hard as it sounds, for me at least. Eben did really well. The rest of us...we gave a solid effort.
Upon getting home I got to help make sada roti. This is different from the oil roti I had been making. It is much thicker. It is reminiscent of english muffins. It's delicious. I thought I liked it more than the oil roti, but they are both so good and I really can't choose. As I was helping cook the roti on the towa I was feeling great because I hadn't burned any or done anything embarrassing as I'm prone to do when cooking. I managed to cook one really well, having it poof up in the middle and everything. I was trying to toss the roti from the hot towa to the serving dish when I realized I probably should not throw it because there was no way it was going to make it. The roti got really close to landing in the dish when it bounced off and landed on the floor, which everyone laughed at. I brushed it off and ate it anyway, but it was rather hilarious.
I was discussing my inability to dance with my family over dinner when my dad, Ravi, thought that was impossible and took it on himself to show me some dance moves. I still cannot dance. But it was really fun to try. He and my mom danced together and it was absolutely adorable.
After dinner my brother Shivo kept asking me if I could write up some guitar tabs for him so he can practice when I am away. I finally got all the stuff I needed to write him a lovely copy of many of the major chords and some basic tabs I started working on when I was beginning. I hope he will get the chance to keep practicing even when I'm not here.
I'm so lucky to be here with this host family, they really help my days when I'm struggling, or they make them even better when I'm not.
Wednesday this week was partially spent in the school, during which Kelly and I planned a dynamite lesson. However, once we got to the actual teaching of the lesson it didn't work out quite as well as we were hoping. We attempted to have our class think, pair, and share with a partner, but it it became think, pair, and stare instead. It seemed the students were not used to sharing information with each other.  This was a good learning opportunity for me to see how students respond to different techniques. I'm looking forward to getting to my new site where I will get to know my students better and will get to learn what techniques work well for different students depending on how comfortable they are with different techniques.
Thursday was a totally different story in the classroom, which was much needed. I was hesitant to see how the students would respond to the lesson we had planned for the day. Kelly and I began with a game called "I'm going to the moon" because you play it by trying to have students guess the rule based on what you are taking to the moon. We began by getting really excited and telling them we are going on a trip to the moon; we then invited them to come with us. They got super excited too. We began talking about what we needed to bring with us. We then shared some things we were bringing and asked them what they wanted to bring. We were able to brainstorm many things which they said and made a list on the chalkboard. If their suggestions didn't fit the rule we were able to change their statement a little bit to make it fit the rule. They picked up the pattern(the suffix -ful) really quickly. We then played another game where we had my stuffed dog from Mel and tossed it to different students and asked them a question. The students responded really well to this and were able to follow the rules for tossing the dog and being gentle. It was quite excellent. I tried to do the whole "tell the answer the dog tells you" thing, but I think they might need a bit more training with that one. But it seemed beneficial for them to have a new manipulative in the classroom.
Friday was another all together at Red Grounds day. We trained. It was long. Training is great and I do love how hard they work to prepare us, but I can't help but be excited to be on my own and get to start doing more in the classroom. It reminds me a bit of my last semesters at college where I got tired of my college classes because being in an elementary classroom is a really good way for me to learn in a hands on environment.
Saturday was also filled with training. That was not my favorite time. I wanted to hang out with my host family at home, but instead I got to go to Red Grounds and get more training there. We did, however, finish joyfully early. We got to go to the airport and use the internet at the bar there. It was quite wonderful. Let me tell you how much I loved it. Words cannot express. I got to send some emails and look up some glorious recipes.  It was a fine, fine time.
Training will be over relatively soon, though. I cannot wait. But, at the same time, I can totally wait because I really do enjoy working with all the other trainees and my community in Laluni. I look forward to being on my own, but I do know it is going to be a challenge to integrate into my community all alone. I keep reminding myself though, I signed up for this. I knew it would be hard. I knew it would be an entirely new, probably super challenging experience. I came here with a whole lot of passion, and a couple times it helps me to remember my motivation for joining. I think it will end up being exceptionally helpful as I continue forward, as I encounter my tough times. There will be tough times. There will probably be some pretty awful moments where I really doubt my ability to make this happen. But I will be resilient. We've been throwing around the world "resiliency" a whole bunch during training. Resiliency to make it through, to survive no matter how hard it has become. Resiliency is the key component in a successful volunteer, as they say. I personally really rally behind this thinking because I think it is the truth in other components too. If someone is unwilling to give up, they will succeed. There's a quote of some variety which goes something like this: "No matter if a person thinks they can or cannot do something, they will always be right." True, true facts. This is a promise to you, to myself, that I will make it, that I will accomplish the most amazing things.