Contents of this blog are personal, they do not reflect the views of the US government, or the Peace Corps.

Sunday, June 29, 2014

Week 7: June 9-15


Challenge week. If you think it sounds really terrible and hard, you would be wrong. Our trainers teased the idea out there at the beginning of training as this magical time when we finally got to put our skills to the test and have a trial run of what volunteer service would actually be like, only small scale. The main differences between challenge week and service are:

  • service is for 730 days instead of 5
  • service involves more primary projects(like being in the school or health center)
  • challenge week involves bunches more volunteers than most service
  • challenge week was made of substantially more time sitting around waiting than I think service will be, but who knows on that one. Perhaps I will become the next guitar prodigy by playing in all of my free time.
  • challenge week also involved writing essays and eating cake. I don't know how much of that I'll find in service

The cake, which I'm sure you're curious about because everyone loves cake, was for Norwell's birthday. (Norwell is our fantastic language and cultural facilitator. He lives in Laluni with us most of the time and is pretty much our go to guy for all number of things which aren't technically in his job description but he helps us with anyhow because he's the bees knees.) I baked a lemon cake for him the night before because I decided cake was a must and my mom, Gaitree, fortunately had cake mix she let me steal for Norwell. I was not the only one to make baked treats. There was a pine(pineapple) cobbler, black cake, some variety of sweet coconut thing. It was amazing.
Most of this week was spent deciding how we should spend all our time which suddenly belonged to us, not to training sessions. We got to paint a majority of our World Map Project and work on our Readiness to Serve essays.
We wanted to have kiddos from the school come over and help us paint since the map is going to go into the school we really wanted them to have an active part of it. We had planned for them to paint one day but timing did not work out so well and the schedule got shifted around substantially, but eventually it ended with children putting paint on the map and that was all I could hope for. We had the older grades((5,6,7 and 8) paint inside some of the larger continents, while grades 1, 2, 3, and 4 got to make a boarder around the outside with their handprints in red, yellow, and blue. I cannot get enough of it. I think the map looks great and I'm really impressed that we were able to pull it together, starting from a blank piece of ply board, some enthusiasm, paint and a fabulous pattern to help us out.
On the day we were waiting for children to paint but they couldn't, we had some glorious free time. We went over to Michelle's family's house and learned to make pine tarts and cheese rolls. I am now a culinary expert. Michelle's host sister said I was a natural. That's right. I roll dough like nobody's business.
Another amazing part of this week was having enough time that people who wanted to got to go down to the creek next to Kelly's and my house. The creek has black water. Black water, for those of you who might not know, is exceptionally black. Pitch black. It's like swimming in tar, except it's really nothing like that other than that you can't really see through black water or tar. It's probably technically brown water, but it looks real dark and you can't see much farther than a hands length away when the sun is shining directly on it. When it's cloudy, you should probably just give up.
The creek is deep, and almost flows up to the bridge which crosses it. The creek has actually gone over the bridge when it rains a lot, but when we went it was not that crazy. It cuts a path through trees and bushes, literally making a path through something which looks freakishly like a rainforest for not officially being a rainforest.
There's something literally awesome about swimming in this wild black water, looking out over the South American scene spread before me. Actually, there's a whole lot of amazing things about that. It was hot, and then the creek was spectacularly great. And there's a thrill about being  in black water and not knowing if there are horrifying creatures swimming in the water with you. Although, a whole bunch of locals bathe in the creek, so they manage to not get eaten, so it's not thaaaat dangerous, but it's still fantastic.
Eben brought his goggles and everyone got to take turns trying to look underwater with them. Try was the operative word because I couldn't see anything. Like, anything. I didn't expect to see much, but the shock of opening your eyes to darkness, when you really know you should probably be able to see, is quite unnerving.

PM interviews take place 3 times throughout training for our various trainers to check in with us and let us know our progress, if we need to change our attitude about anything, such like that. This week I had my second PM interview, and, as always after the interviews, I felt really pumped up and excited to be here. My trainers reminded me to think about what made me want to come here, and to realize that my service is going to be my own. It's not going to reflect anyone elses, or even be similar to theirs and that is one hundred and ten percent okay. The interview also got me even more excited to go live in a hinterland site, even though I was still really worried about communication home. They explained how relationships usually build and grow in hinterland sites since they are so much smaller and will be around me all the time. I cannot wait to be making friends in my new community, connecting to the wonderful people there and letting them find out who I am.

Friday June 13th--site placement!!
Anticipation is funny, it builds for what feels like forever, becoming overwhelming as the eventuality draws nearer. After all that build up, all that dread and excitement and energy is often released in the span of a couple seconds. Today's the day. Site placement day. The other trainees and I had gone on about it for so long like it was a new holiday because for us, it is. It's our future in a nutshell, the day we get a brief, tantalizing taste of our two years down here.
I was curious how today would turn out. I knew we had a session before we would find out about our sites. However unrealistic, I imagined a wild fury of future volunteers going mad before they found out where they were going. It was significantly less intense, and for the most part was over faster than I thought it would be.
The game began late because our previous session had run long and the trainers needed time to set up. When we went inside I was thrilled by the gigantic map of Guyana, filled with tiny GUY 26 trainees covered by sticky notes. We were put into teams to play Pictionary with different words we've encountered in training. The anticipation was brutal. I didn't know where to look or what to do. I played the game, trying to memorize all the green circles of soon to be volunteers. All of GUY 26 is clustered at the top of Guyana. The first one uncovered was Ben. He was sitting right next to me, and it was so loud so neither of us could hear if the person said Ben or Beth. Turns out it was Ben and I had a bit more waiting to do. We continued playing the game, with lots of screaming and shouting involved. I was so nervous and wanted to know, but playing the game was not as bad as I thought it would be. I forget who actually uncovered my name, but I couldn't hear too much of what they said about my placement. Later I went up and looked, discovering that I was placed in Wakapoa Mission Primary School in Wakapoa, Region 2. Another volunteer, Doug Hall, had talked about Wakapoa when he came to lecture us so I was really excited to be placed there because I heard it was beautiful.
Although, it was disappointing because even though I found out the mystery of where I was going, it still wasn't enough because I wanted to know more about my site and what sort of stuff would be there and all that stuff. Oh patience, I do not have this virtue.

Laluni Fundraiser
This Saturday the 14th was our Challenge Week fundraiser. After we'd been in Laluni for a while we had a meeting with teachers about wanting to do a project in association with the school and asked what ideas they might have for it. The Senior Mistress brought up that they had been planning to build a resource room separate from the school which could be a library and a place for teachers to take students to get out of the loud classrooms. They already requested some money to build it, but they knew they would need more, so we decided on doing a fundraiser as our activity to help support the building of this resource room. At the meeting, the teachers mentioned that they typically have barbecues to raise money and they've worked well in the past, so we could do a bbq, and concert, this time as well.

The first step was to have a meeting with the PTA to discuss logistics: when, where, what type of events, who would supply what food, how much to charge for tickets/food, and the like.
Next we decided what part of the concert we, the trainees, would be a part of. We had a couple songs and modeling which eventually got worked into the schedule the head master put together.
On the day of the concert I made both peanut butter and chocolate chip cookies. Baking is a blast. As is the heat. However, excessive heat, while trying to make BILLIONS OF COOKIES for a whole morning was quite the experience. Although, in the end, I had tons of cookies and everyone was happy. So that was good. The start time of the concert had changed a bit so I was at the school really early, but changed into my traditional Indian wear right before the concert.

The concert/bbq itself.
Several families and teacher had set up the school before we went over. The classrooms had been reorganized so they all faced the stage. We all hung around for a while before the concert really began, eating food, talking, hanging out with people. It was a good time. Then the concert began.
I was wearing my sweet traditional Indian wear, same with Lauren and Kelly. We all sat and watched as the head master introduced us to the concert, discussed how much the school appreciated our support, and went into the performances. I think most grade levels did at least one activity up on the stage, and many people did skits. It was a really fun time. I sang a song and partook in a fashion show with Lauren and Kelly. I saw the pictures later and realized I always have my hands in the air. Like, always. They just don't really go down ever.
The school also got exceptionally hot with so many people sitting there and watching. At one point my little sis, Serina, came over and sat on my lap. It was super duper sweet, but also really sweaty.
In total, the bbq was a success. We raised a lot of money and the foundation for the building will be laid in July. I'm very excited to hear about how the progression of the building goes.

Hilarious side story:
You know how most people grow out of being afraid of the dark?
Darkness didn't need to creep, it had full control of the situation. I rushed to the church to get some much needed water. The moon hung swollen in the sky but the clouds refused to share the glow. I tried not to be scared. Nothing wrong with an abandoned church in the darkness.
As I cracked the door, flashes of horror movies played through my mind, mainly the parts where someone leaps out from an unseen corner, or dark, abandoned church. Fear wasn't cold, like they always say it is. It was burning hot of a speeding pulse. Absurd as it was, my fear almost got the best of me. I rushed inside, trying to reach the water cooler(which really does nothing for coolness) in the back before my resolve ran out on me. Several hurried steps in, I froze.  A rustling noise emerged from the back, echoing off the concrete walls.
"Hello?"
My voice hung in the air. I forgot to breathe.
"Who is that?"
I could see the future playing out; a dark shape slowly approaching, leaping at the last moment with a burst of speed to nab me and do all manner of terrible things.
After far too much adrenaline pushed through my veins, a voice from outside responded. More than happy to leave the church, I went outside. It was a local man, who had a flashlight, and saved the day. I borrowed it, retrieved my water, thanked him and was on my way, fully aware of how much of a coward I was.
In case you were concerned that this blog is actually an elaborate plot being posted by an imposter, I hope this story has proved that the same person you knew is continuing to do the same things, but here in Guyana. In retrospect, it's really funny how scared I was, but at the time it was absolutely terrifying. So now you have a great snapshot of what my life is like! Except I tend not to run into circumstances like that very often, if ever.

Sunday we left Laluni for future site visits. I thought I had everything totally prepared  and packed up nicely, however, about halfway on the road out to the center of town, my family asked if I had my life vest. I did not. I have to take 2 boats to get to my site, and I'm required to wear my Peace Corps approved life vest every time I cross water, so I had to go back and get it. You'd think with the number of times I spend packing and unpacking I'd become an expert, but I am still definitely not very good at it. Such is life.
Before we went to our sites we got to stay at a hotel in Georgetown. My favorite things about the hotel include: air conditioning, a bed made of something not foam, indoor plumbing, and the ability to exercise without getting sand on me.
Until next time.