Contents of this blog are personal, they do not reflect the views of the US government, or the Peace Corps.

Thursday, January 28, 2016

Burdens No More (December 2015)

We'd just summated "Oh My God"--the aptly named sheer incline near the end of the hike. My backpack was heavy, but knowing we were near the end made it feel lighter. The fall appeared suddenly, not an easy feat for the largest single drop waterfall in the world. I was dumbstruck, walking around and staring with my backpack still strapped around my waist. Eventually I came to my  senses, resting my bag and approaching the cliff edge.
I'm a little intimidated by heights. Being told by everyone in my village that Kaiteur was haunted by a demonic force didn't help. Some of our group strolled right up to the edge, not a care in the world. I inched myself closer, baby step by baby step. But, when I reached the edge, I was filled with the inexplicable wonder nature often inspires. I was particularly struck by how effortlessly it had formed. We, as a species, have spent so much time trying to create things which parallel or surpass nature. We've put such energy, passion, and time into it, while, often, nature surpasses by simply existing.
Much of the time at the waterfall, I sat, silent, meditating on it. A change so constant it became permanent. It was infinite and unique with every second. Both unchanging and ever shifting. While I watched, Kaiteur seemed to impart on me the things I needed most at the time. I'd like to share those here.
Let go of things not for you. The things that matter will remain, and the rest shall be washed away,  burdens no more.
There's power in  accepting something for what it is, not trying to make it into what you wish it to be.
No moment can ever be recaptured. Everything is what it is only once. Appreciate what is, and release what is not.
Kaiteur, and the time in the mountains, was much needed. Nestled in one of the largest remaining untamed jungles, the journey to Kaiteur was almost as stunning as the waterfall itself.
We took the bus there, and plane back. The bus ride was 6 hours of knocked heads and bumped knees. We were relieved to arrive at a smaller waterfall, Amatuk---our first campsite. The next day, Christmas, we  watched Amatuk falls for a while, then took a boat ride. We had a look around a gold mining camp before heading to the guest house at the bottom of the trail. The guest house was donated by the German government years ago. In exchange for what, you ask? Gold? Diamonds? Something much more precious....manatees. A breeding pair of manatees. You go, German government.
There, we deposited our things, and went for a hike and a swim in a waterfall called Stone Creek Falls. Along the steep, slippery trail, our guide stopped. I'd been following close behind, and stopped too. He shouted something to the other tour guide, and we all slowly backed up. Sunning itself on a rock was a labara. I recognized the word. Months earlier, a boy in my village was bitten by the same snake, and went to the Georgetown hospital. They didn't think he would make it. At one point, he had blood in his eyes, and was spitting up blood, if the rumors are true. We got a good view of it when the tour guide tried to fling it somewhere else, and it slithered under a rock not too far from where we were walking. We hurried past. We had to take our shoes off once we got up to the sheer rocks. But, even so, it was super slick from the water in the air. I stubbed both of my broken toes by the time I got to the top. It was absolutely worth it to sit underneath the freezing, pounding water of the fall. Far from your traditional Christmas, but you won't hear me complaining.
The day we departed, we waited eagerly at the visitors center(also donated by the German Government) to find out if our plane was coming. Half the crew left in a small plane, only to come back an hour later in a bigger plane we all ended up leaving in. When I say bigger, I mean, barely big enough to fit our crew of 9 people. I sat shot gun and pretended I was copilot.
Our descent over Georgetown made it look so small. We could see the ocean, the rivers that cut Guyana in pieces. Everything, from the smallest detail of life, to the largest, can look simultaneously huge and small. It's a matter of perspective. What else you see it in relation to. Kaiteur, and my last Christmas in Guyana, was certainly a memorable one. Giving me perspective of all the things I want to hold on to, letting the be washed away, burdens no more.