Contents of this blog are personal, they do not reflect the views of the US government, or the Peace Corps.

Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Best of the Rest

January 2015


I'm pacing in Cheddi Jagan international airport. It's kind of hard because within about 40 seconds of pacing I can walk in and out of the airport. Despite the obvious challenge, I've been pacing for about 20 minutes since being dropped off by the fantastic and fast talking taxi driver, Andrew. He's ambling about peaceably, talking to other taxi drivers, either meeting old friends or making new ones. It's no wonder he knows everyone. I walk upstairs, leaning over the railing to watch the runway. No airplane. I walk downstairs. No people unloading. Andrew waves me over. He tells me I should go upstairs and watch for incoming airplanes. Alright. Done. I check my watch. Their flight should be here. Now. But, I know how airports and airplanes work. If a flight gets where it's supposed to be, when it's supposed to be there, that definitely counts as some kind of miracle. I try to make some last minute vacation plans on my smartphone. The Guyana tourism page is about as helpful as dirt. I look up and realize the plane is here, with people already strolling down the outdoor landing. People unloading. Still unloading. I wait and make sure that was really the last person. But I didn't see them. Maybe this isn't their plane. Except the airport really isn't big enough to have 2 airplanes at one time. I run downstairs. Andrew is still ambling. No one ambles like Andrew. I ask him to hold a "Welcome to Guyana" sign I made just for this occasion. He agrees and takes the other drivers teases in stride. I try to pace but I know I need to stand right here and watch. Some people start walking down the walkway from security clearance. I try to glue myself to the floor. It is not effective. I keep pacing and swaying from side to side. Standing still is not in my skill set. I keep looking. Maybe I missed them. 
There they are! I can't control my legs. I charge toward them. I don't care that they have to drop their luggage to hug me. My family. They are finally here with me. If having a happy heart could cause explosions, Cheddi Jagan would be a blur of dust and a memory. I hug them until my arms are tired. I can't get tired of seeing them. I stare at them the whole way to the taxi. In the taxi. Still staring. It had been a long time since I was so ridiculously excited. And so happy. We didn't need to say anything. My heart was happy. I was home. Home is where the heart is, and my heart was in that taxi traveling toward Wakapoa. 

My family made it, safe and sound to visit me. We lounged around Guyana, visiting my site(Wakapoa), my training site(Laluni), a resort, and Georgetown. We didn't see many of the big touristy things to see because, let's be real, the whole reason they came to Guyana was to see me. Super modest, I know. But it's true. If I weren't here, they would have never found their way down to Guyana. Never would they know the joy of cassava bread and fish, of buns and water coconuts, of channa and cheese rolls. 

I'm glad they did. This experience is comprised of so many things, but it was amazing for them to see parts of it. They saw the ants. The mosquitos. The smiles of the children. (Have I mentioned how much they loved Dad's beard?)


I am endlessly amused by how much the children love my family. I love my family. I love the children. How could they not be perfectly suited to adore each other?

 It was really wonderful for me because the family saw everything instead of hearing it. It's so different in person than it is when you hear stories and tales about it. It's reality, when you actually live it for a little while. At first I was terrified my children would be too shy around the family because I remember how shy they used to be around me. Lucky for me, that was not a problem. They welcomed my family right in after a little while of being quiet and terrified. I think they were shocked how much paler my family was than me. I have developed a pretty sweet tan(I almost look brazilian or portuguese) but my family does not. As the children like to describe them: they are white, white, white. It's always nice to see two worlds meeting, and coexisting so harmoniously. My family really enjoyed being in Wakapoa and Laluni, despite the heat.

 When we went to Laluni, my host mom Gaitree was joking that I had to cook chicken for my family. Turns out she wasn't really joking.
If you think I actually chopped off the head of this poor chicken, you are wrong. I did however, help with the plucking process. It wasn't as gross as I thought it would be. I mean, it's kinda gross. I'd be lying if I said it wasn't. The whole, "it used to be a living creature and is now a dead piece of meat" thing is very odd to me and I don't think I'll ever actually get used to it. However, plucking it was quite the experience. I enjoyed seeing how it transforms from being el chicken you see running around on the ground, to chicken meat, to meat you cook in the kitchen. It's funny, because in America I always feel very distant from my food. I never actually know where it comes from. Here, though, it's quite the opposite. We know the meat is fresh because we just killed it. We know who we bought it from because it's the family down the road. These are some of the joys of living in Guyana, and I'm glad I got to share the whole picture with my family.

The hardest part of their visit was saying goodbye. And hearing how proud they are of me. That was simply too many feelings for me.

The rest of this month has been birthdays, lost umbrellas, root canals, training, ice cream, colored pencils and other volunteers. Found out a couple of the other volunteers will be leaving pretty soon here. I'm happy for them because I know they'll be super happy at home, but I still selfishly wish they could stay. Also, we had a big holiday get together at Linda's house which was super awesome!  

I'm kind of sorry I'm mostly just posting pictures this go round, but at the same time I'm really not.


Embarrassing Moment
Freaking out and screaming as the chicken was dying. My host sister Serina laughed at me so hard. For real, though, it was flapping a lot.
Also freaked out when my umbrella fell into the bottom of the creek and spent about 20 minutes searching for it with my friends Dello, Jamal, and Tash. It was Tash's birthday and I made her look for my umbrella after accidentally tipping over the canoe. #iamsuchagoodfriend

Quote:
"You're a work of art. Not everyone will understand you, but the ones who do, will never forget about you."

Shout Out:


 I don't know what I would do without you guys. You give me the support I need in a million different ways(obviously cookies and sea stars are among those ranks.) You are truly the best to me, and I am so grateful to have you in my life. I can't even say how much I love you and miss you. Seeing you was the best thing I could have asked for. I may or may not show your pictures to everyone and brag about how you came down here. I am going to remember this forever, and ever, and ever.

Also thanks to friends near and far who were there when I really needed you recently. I've already said thanks every two words, but I appreciate it. You're awesome.

Also, also, congrats Mel on the engagement! I cannot wait to go back to the states in the fall to make stupid comments at you as you do super serious wedding things<3

Love all of you profoundly! Hope everything is great because all of you are, in fact, the best of the rest.