Contents of this blog are personal, they do not reflect the views of the US government, or the Peace Corps.

Friday, July 4, 2014

Week 9: June 23-29

Hot Cocoa


What's your cup of hot cocoa?
I've been asking myself this question a lot recently. I tried to understand it before I left, but it wasn't something I could fully grasp until I had to. I started thinking about it the night before I left for Peace Corps.
Packing the night before leaving, I was a hot mess. I was terrified, stressed, doubtful, and a handful of other adjectives which don't even bear mentioning.
My dad talked to me, trying to help me decide what to pack. He asked me what my cup of hot cocoa was. My dad loves metaphors. I tend to love them too, except when I'm a stressosarus(thanks Kelly). At the time, I was having none of it. He asked me again. I got pissed. I didn't want hot cocoa. I wanted to be packed and feel a helluva a lot braver than I did. But my dad got me to stop, just for 5 minutes, and have a cup of hot cocoa instead of hyperventilating over what would or would not fit in my luggage. He asked me again, what's your cup of hot cocca? What's that thing you can use when you're out of your comfort zone, to lean on, to help you remember how to stop. Just stop. For a breath. Maybe two. To stop with the hope that after those breaths, though everything will be just as it was before, maybe it won't feel as overwhelming. I hope, after I take those breaths, maybe there will be more I can do to change how I react to what happens around me.

Returning to Laluni for the last week there was everything I hoped it would be. It was the evening breeze after a hot day. I remembered how it first felt when I got there, afraid that my family wouldn't like me, terrified to say the wrong thing. When I got back this time, my little sister stood on the railing, wearing only a towel, waving vigorously at me until she put on clothes and could hug me. My brothers Shivo and Sachen gave me knuckles and hugs. My mom gave me a hug and my dad gave me knuckles. How incredible it is to be so loved, so lucky to have met these incredible people who made me a part of their family. Coming back felt like belonging. I'm lucky enough to have never felt alone in this journey, I always have staff, volunteers, locals and friends and family from home who support me, no matter how far away I am. I hope I'll continue to build this amazing support as I move forward in my service.

This week I finally gave in and watched a movie with my siblings after making them wait. I'd been promising them we'd watch a movie together pretty much since I got there. We watched Despicable Me cuddled together on the couch, Serina to my right, Shivo to my left and Sachen right behind me. You know, as sweaty and hot as it is in this country, I will never deny my little siblings a place next to me or on my lap. They're just too great.

We have a game we like to play a lot in Laluni. It's called spoons, or, more appropriately, pens since that's what we actually play with. Norwell came over to play with us and we learned what a ruthless player he is. We usually don't play where someone gets eliminated, but Norwell really wanted to eliminate people, and he also enjoyed snatching the pen from people's hands just after they got them. He is vicious and it was hilarious.

I had to stop to find out what my hot cocoa was this week. My fellow volunteers were incredibly helpful in reaching out, and letting me reach out to provide them support. We are a family. I'm quite honestly amazed by the support I have around me at any time. I'm not very good with large group things, but this group of GUY 26 volunteers is amazing and I love every single one of them. I have no doubt we are going to do some amazing things in Guyana and afterword.

Coming home from training friday night, Andrew's family put on an amazing barbeque to say goodbye to us, and to show appreciation for everything we'd done for them. I felt like it should have been the other way around, where we should show appreciation for them, but it was really nice. They all said thank you, and told us they wanted us to come back and visit.

On Saturday we had our family appreciation event. We were able to make some chili, cookies, salad, cake, and passion fruit juice. We invited all the families to come to the school, enjoy some food and talk with us before we went away. I enjoyed it. I got my hair braided by several of the girls in town and my sister Serina took bundles of pictures for me after I gave her my camera. It was so great. I also got one side of my hair beautifully braided by Sabatri. It made me start missing Laluni and our amazing community there already.

Laluni is my home away from home. Leaving was incredibly hard. I didn't want to say goodbye because I know it will be a long time before I see them next. I hate saying goodbyes, they seem final. But, not saying goodbye can be equally terrible. Although, the community in Laluni made it a goodbye worth remembering.  So many people came out to show their appreciation, to say goodbye. I got as many hugs as I could ever want, which is a ridiculous number of hugs. I am so glad I was able to train there, to learn about Guyanese life, love and generosity from such incredible people. Now, after only 2 months here, I have several cups of hot cocoa I know I can turn to when I need them.

Wherever you are this week, or the next, I hope you've got a cup of hot cocoa you can sit down with, to warm you, to help you realize what you've got going for you right this moment. There is always something amazing, but sometimes it takes some looking for. Love you all immensely <3

Family appreciation day in Laluni. My cup of hot cocoa, my host family: Gaitree, Serina, Me, Sachen, Shivo